Game 093 – Canadiens 3, Maple Leafs 1

Game 093
Canadiens 3, Maple Leafs 1
Tuesday, February 4, 1930
Forum de Montréal, Montréal, Québec

The Montréal Canadiens advanced two points further toward first position of the Canadian section by defeating the Toronto Leafs 3-1 in an interesting, if unexciting, game here tonight. The more experienced Canadien regulars outplayed the Leafs’ rookie line throughout, the Leafs depending more on their new men than their regulars.

The game was marked for local fans by the continuance of Howie Morenz’s scoring streak, which he almost lost toward midseason, only to come back into form with the last few gams. Morenz’s stick was responsible for two of the Canadiens’ three goals, once alone and once in company with Larochelle.

The Leafs failed to show much promise, although their combination at times was better than their opponents. The “Kid” line, although they were not in a class with the Frenchmen’s regulars, continued to show the promise they have demonstrated in their last half dozen games. The Canadiens go back with their opponents to play in Toronto Thursday night.

A last minute change in the Leaf lineup saw the “Kid” front line go into action in preference to the regulars. Charlie Conacher, Primeau and Jackson made several determined rushes on the Canadien nets, which Joliat and Morenz returned to Chabot. Larochelle and Lépine came close to opening the scoring, but Chabot saved. Lépine was ruled off for hooking, and Hainsworth was given a busy time by the regular Leaf line replacing the juniors. Following a Blair-Day rush, the whole Canadien team was called to assist the local goaler, who managed to clear, however, individual rushes by Morenz and Lépine bothered Chabot considerably.

Morenz showed some of his old form when, in company with Joliat, he drilled several hot ones at Chabot, none of which were successful. Lépine went to the box again for tripping Art Smith, but this time the locals took the offensive.

The Leafs went into the lead when Jackson took a pass from Primeau to drill one high across Hainsworth. A few seconds later, Sylvio Mantha put the locals on even terms on a pass from Lépine, who had just returned to the ice. Both teams tried hard as the period drew to a close, but neither with much success. The Red Shirts redoubled their efforts when Pettinger went off for tripping Joliat, and a few seconds later went to the front when Morenz drilled a hot one between Chabot and the post just as the bell rang.

With Pettinger still off, the Frenchmen took the offensive at the start of the second frame and swarmed around the Leaf’s nets. On his return, the game opened up, and both forward lines ranged up and down the ice. Lépine and Joliat made alternate sallies on the Leaf bastille, while Duncan and Bailey made Hainsworth uncomfortable.

Joliat stickhandled his way through the whole Toronto team, but lost the puck as he reached Chabot. Larochelle went off for tripping Primeau. While the locals were short, Morenz made several speedy sallies to drill terrific shots at Chabot, none of which were dangerous, however.

Cotton drove several shots at Hainsworth, who was hard put to save. Both teams started a series of three man rushes, none of which was successful.

Burke got benched for trying to trip Pettinger. The teams played five men apiece when Conacher joined Burke for putting Joliat to the boards. The Canadiens took the offensive, and the bell rang with the locals swarming in Leaf territory.

Joliat and Sylvio Mantha made several lone rushes on the Leaf citadel, Mantha at one time having only Chabot to beat. The Toronto netminder fell to save.

Marty Burke and Bailey went to the side for roughing it, and both teams contented themselves with long shots. Art Smith went off for holding down Leduc while the two were lying on the ice, and while he was off, Morenz took a pass from Larochelle at the goalmouth and drilled it under Chabot as he fell to save. With a two goal lead, the Red Shirts opened up the play, and repeatedly drove in on Chabot.

Referee Hewitson was injured in the leg as Burke and Blair fell beside him, one of them cutting him with a skate.

Gus Rivers, the Canadiens’ recruit, came on the ice for the first time, but failed to get into a critical play. Play became more open as the final session closed, and the Leafs, through Bailey, Primeau and Jackson, tried hard to even the count. Larochelle was given a minor penalty and a $15 fine for talking to the referee as he was being sent off for tripping, and the Leafs ended the game by unsuccessfully swarming Hainsworth’s area.

Story originally published in The Globe, February 5, 1930

1st Period
TOR PP GOAL – 15:30 – Jackson (Primeau)
MTL GOAL – 16:00 – S. Mantha (Lépine)
MTL GOAL – 19:45 – Morenz
MTL PENS – Lépine (2)
TOR PEN – Pettinger

2nd Period
MTL PENS – Burke, Larochelle
TOR PEN – Conacher

3rd Period
MTL PP GOAL – 09:00 – Morenz (Larochelle)
MTL PENS – Burke, Larochelle
TOR PENS – Smith (2), Bailey

MTL – Hainsworth (W)
TOR – Chabot (L)

MTLGoaltenders: George Hainsworth. Defence: Marty Burke, Gerry Carson, Albert Leduc, Georges Mantha, Sylvio Mantha (C). Forwards: Aurèle Joliat, Wildor Larochelle, Pit Lépine, Bert McCaffrey, Armand Mondou, Howie Morenz, Gus Rivers, Nick Wasnie.
TORGoaltenders: Lorne Chabot. Defence: Hap Day (C), Art Duncan, Art Smith. Forwards: Ace Bailey, Andy Blair, Charlie Conacher, Baldy Cotton, Busher Jackson, Frank Nighbor, Eric Pettinger, Joe Primeau.

MTL – 14-11-4 (.552)
TOR – 11-14-3 (.446)