Game 012 – Canadiens 6, Arenas 3

Game 012
Canadiens 6, Arenas 3
Saturday, December 28, 1918
Aréna Jubilée, Montréal, Québec

By defeating the Toronto Arena team in a scheduled match in the National Hockey League at the Jubilée Rink on Saturday night by a score of 6 to 3, the Canadiens bettered their position in the standing of the teams, and showed themselves at the top of their form.

With the addition of Corbeau on the defence and Malone on the line, the Frenchmen presented a much stronger lineup than that of their previous appearance at the Jubilée Rink, when they were beaten by Ottawa.

The going was greatly improved, and the fast ice surface suited the French team much better than the sticky ice of the previous week. It enabled them to cut out a faster pace, which accounted for their comparatively easy victory. The Canadiens outplayed their opponents at almost all stages of the play, and showed marked superiority at shooting. In this department, the Arenas were weak and tossed away many opportunities to score.

The game marked the introduction of the delayed penalty rule, as Randall drew a major for slashing at Cleghorn, and his team was forced to play the final two minutes a man sort, which served as a great handicap. The forward pass at centre ice was used to advantage by the occasions, and on one occasion resulted in the scoring of a goal.

Both rules which were inaugurated this season are an improvement to the game. The penalty rule has already had the desired effect of eliminating unnecessary rough play, and the forward pass has a tendency to make the game faster. Under the delayed penalty, a player who has the interest of his team at heart will think twice before mixing it up with an opponent, as his penalty serves as a handicap. With the absence of roughhouse tactics, the game will come into its own again, and draw as good a patronage as in yesteryears.

The exhibition was one of the best witnessed in Montréal in several seasons, and was not as one-sided as the score would indicate. The Toronto team had more of the play than the score shows, but after carrying the puck up the ice almost invariably failed in their attack on the net. They appear to lack coaching in goal-getting. They are a fast band of youngsters, and check back well at all times.

The Canadiens opened the offensive and set a pace that told more on their opponents than on themselves. They attacked frequently, and had the visitors bunched around the net to stall them off. Cameron was the first to open up an attack for the Arenas. He carried the play down the ice and made the first shot, which Vézina turned aside. Lalonde took the puck from the rebound from Vézina’s stick end after working his way in and out among the opposing forwards, beat the defence and scored the first goal.

With eight minutes of the period remaining, the Arenas struck their stride and attacked in a more combined manner, only the brilliant work of Vézina holding them out until the resting period. On changing over for the second period, both teams made changes. Malone was sent in with McDonald by the Canadiens, and Lalonde dropped back on the defence to relieve Corbeau. Toronto sent Denneny in place of Meeking.

Following an end to end rush, Cameron scored the first goal of the session, tying the score. Ten seconds later, Pitre put the Canadiens in the lead again, scoring from almost centre ice. From the faceoff, Lalonde took a forward pass from Cleghorn and tallied, making the score 3 to 1, which assured the victory, for the Arenas were never again within challenging distance. The Canadiens added two more before the change of ends for the final period.

In the final period, both teams went back to their original lineup, and the Canadiens continued to force the pace. The first goal came from a combined play between Malone and Cleghorn. Malone carried the puck up the ice and passed over to Cleghorn, who scored. Shortly afterwards, Cameron got away for another end to end rush and tallied the Arenas’ second goal. Hall then scored a lucky one for the Canadiens, and shortly before the expiration of the time, Cameron scored again for the Arenas.

With less than three minutes remaining, Randall drew a major for slashing Cleghorn, and the game was finished with Toronto playing five men against the Canadiens’ six.

Story originally published in The Globe, December 30, 1918

1st Period
MTL GOAL – 12:00 – Lalonde (Vézina)

2nd Period
TOR GOAL – 01:15 – Cameron
MTL GOAL – 01:25 – Pitre
MTL GOAL – 01:50 – Lalonde (Cleghorn)
MTL GOAL – 16:20 – Pitre (Hall)

3rd Period
MTL GOAL – 02:30 – Cleghorn (Malone)
TOR GOAL – 03:10 – Cameron
MTL GOAL – 06:10 – Hall
TOR GOAL – 17:50 – Cameron

MTL – Corbeau, Hall, Lalonde
TOR – Randall (major), Cameron

MTL – Vézina (W)
TOR – Lindsay (L)

MTLGoaltenders: Georges Vézina. Defence: Bert Corbeau, Billy Coutu, Joe Hall. Forwards: Louis Berlinquette, Odie Cleghorn, Fred Doherty, Newsy Lalonde (C), Joe Malone, Jack McDonald, Didier Pitre.
TORGoaltenders: Bert Lindsay. Defence: Harry Cameron. Forwards: Jack Adams, Rusty Crawford, Corb Denneny, Harry Meeking, Reg Noble, Ken Randall, Alf Skinner.

MTL – 2-1-0 (.667)
TOR – 0-3-0 (.000)